If you have glasses and your eye doctor in Portland OR mentioned transition lenses, you might be wondering if they are right for you. Comparing some of the pros and cons will help you decide if getting transition lenses is something you might want to do. But first, we will go over what transition lenses are, in case you don’t already know.
What Are Transition Lenses?
Transition lenses are also called photochromic lenses. They have special lenses that automatically darken when exposed to sunlight or UV light and get lighter in softer light. However, they are designed to remain clear when used indoors.
The Pros and Cons of Transition Lenses
Here are the pros and cons of transition lenses in Portland, OR.
- Convenience. Transition lenses automatically change to a darker shade as you enter sunlight or are exposed to UV light. They will then automatically lighten when you move out of the sunlight or away from UV rays. This automatic transitioning means you won’t have to carry several pairs of glasses everywhere you go.
- Continual Eye Protection. Your eyes will always be protected, and you won’t have to worry about forgetting to wear your sunglasses.
- Stylish. Transition lens eyeglasses come in a wide variety of colors and styles, regardless of your prescription.
- Save Money. Getting transition lenses will save you money because you won’t have to buy prescription sunglasses in addition to your regular prescription glasses.
- Varying Degrees of Transition. Transition lenses will darken and lighten to varying degrees. The extent of this will vary between brands.
- Cold Weather Performance. Transition lenses take longer to adjust when you are out in the cold.
- Reduced Performance. When in a vehicle, transition lenses don’t always work as well because some vehicle glass has UV protection built in. The vehicle’s UV protection will on occasion, prevent transition lenses from darkening. However, some transition lenses have been designed to adjust to that issue.
Do You Need an Eye Doctor in Portland, OR?
If you need an eye doctor in Portland, OR, please Contact Asterix Eyewear today. We have been around for 18 years and offer eyecare, sales, service, and repairs. And we are proud to be Portland’s premiere dispensing opticians. We look forward to welcoming you into our comfortable, relaxing office.